May 11th – August 19th, 2018
CAMP HEALTH, HOPE & HAPPINESS (Camp He Ho Ha)
Camp Health, Hope & Happiness, Alberta’s leading summer recreational facility for individuals with mental and physical disabilities is seeking counselors, both male and female, for the season beginning May 11th and continuing through to August 19th, 2018. Camp Health, Hope & Happiness is a residential camp where campers and staff are on site 24/7 during their 6 day stay.
Camp Counselors are responsible for participation, in full, of the mandatory 9-Day Summer Staff Orientation running May 11th -19th. The term of employment is from May 11th to August 19th, 2018.
Dedicated individuals committed to the personal care and recreational needs of persons with special needs will find these positions both challenging and rewarding. Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Personal experience with people with special needs, sign language, arts & crafts, water sports (I.e. Canoeing, paddle boating, fishing), performing arts and leadership would be an asset but not necessary.
A current standard first aide and Level C CPR certificate (that will not expire during the wok term) and the completion of a clear Police Criminal Clearance Check is required by date of employment.
Camp Counselor – $7620.00 for the term of employment (before taxes). Accommodations are provided for the term of employment listed above. Meals will be provided during camp days.
JOB DESCRIPTION – CAMP COUNSELOR
- To abide by the Camp Philosophy that “Campers Come First”.
- To work at being a strong team player in your cabin and with the entire camp staff. Respect all members of your team.
- To assist in keeping the cabin clean and tidy and to ensure that campers play an active role in assisting with cabin cleanup.
- To help generate ENTHUISIASISM and IDEAS for all camp activities and to encourage all members of staff to do the same.
- To aide and/or supervise the personal care tasks of each camper (feeding, dressing, bathing and toileting) in the cabin while encouraging and insisting that the campers do all they can for themselves. Always strive to increase the camper’s independence.
- To lift and transfer campers using one and/or two person lifts or mechanical lifts.
- To be with the campers at all times except during specified time off and to spend quality time with the campers whenever possible, including initiating activities during quiet time.
- To cooperatively work with and support all staff.
- To share the responsibilities for advanced planning of activities, special events, and evening programs.
- To take your turn on Dorm Duty, Back up dorm duty and other responsibilities.
- To be responsible for leading camp activities at various times throughout the day.
- To work with other members in the completion of all administrative tasks on time.
- To take responsibility for the smooth operation of your cabin in all areas. This includes daily cabin meetings to eliminate break down in communication, discuss any pertinent information.
- To understand each campers specific needs to ensure that each camper is provided with the best possible physical and emotional care.
- To demonstrate patience, understanding, and care towards campers and staff and to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- To bring any difficulties or problems that cannot be resolved to the Team Leader or the Coordinators.
- Aide in behaviour management of campers when applicable.
- Evaluate your Team Leader throughout the summer.
- Other duties as requested by the Camp Coordinators.
- Directly responsible to the cabin Team Leader.
- To attend meetings called by the Camp Coordinators.
To apply please fill out a Staff Application form located in the left-hand side of this page (Apply for a Job Online link)
APPLICATION DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 22, 2018
Visit our Summer Camp links by clicking on the CAMP LINKS below. There you can learn more about camp life, camp schedules and so much more! If you have any questions feel free to contact us:
Summer Camp Coordinator
Phone: (780) 429-3277, Ext. 240