Climbing Wall Assistant / Camp Counselor
Camp Health, Hope & Happiness, Alberta’s leading summer recreational facility for individuals with mental and physical disabilities is seeking counselors for the season beginning in May and continuing through to August. Camp Health, Hope & Happiness is a residential camp where campers and staff are on-site 24/7 during their 6-day stay.
The Climbing Wall Assistant / Camp Counselor is required to participate in the mandatory 9-day summer staff orientation at Camp He Ho Ha in May. The term of employment is from May to August.
Climbing Wall and Ropes Course Assistant / Counselor: This individual would assist the climbing wall facilitator in implementing climbing and ropes course programs for campers while ensuring the safety of campers on the climbing wall. The climbing wall assistant’s duties are in addition to the responsibilities of a camp counselor (detailed below).
Dedicated individuals committed to the personal care and recreational needs of persons with special needs will find these positions both challenging and rewarding. Applicants must be a minimum of 18 years of age. Personal experience with people with special needs, sign language, arts & crafts, water sports (ie: canoeing, paddle boating, fishing), performing arts and leadership would be an asset but not necessary. Previous climbing, low ropes, or ziplining experience would be an asset but is not necessary.
A current standard first aid and Level C CPR certificate (that will not expire during the work term) and the completion of a clear Police Criminal Clearance Check (with the vulnerable sector) are required before the start of employment.
Climbing Wall Counselor – $8220.00 for the term of employment (before taxes).
Accommodations are provided for the term of employment listed above.
Meals will be provided during camp days.
JOB DESCRIPTION – CAMP COUNSELOR
- To abide by the Camp Philosophy that “Campers Come First”.
- To work at being a strong team player in your cabin and with the entire camp staff. Respect all members of your team.
- To assist in keeping the cabin clean and tidy and to ensure that campers play an active role in assisting with cabin cleanup.
- To help generate ENTHUISIASM and IDEAS for all camp activities and to encourage all members of staff to do the same.
- To aide and/or supervise the personal care tasks of each camper (feeding, dressing, bathing and toileting) in the cabin while encouraging and insisting that the campers do all they can for themselves. Always strive to increase the camper’s independence.
- To lift and transfer campers using one and/or two person lifts or mechanical lifts.
- To be with the campers at all times except during specified time off or specified time for climbing wall duties and to spend quality time with the campers whenever possible, including initiating activities during quiet time.
- To cooperatively work with and support all staff.
- To share the responsibilities for advanced planning of activities, special events, and evening programs.
- To take your turn on Dorm Duty, Back up dorm duty and other responsibilities.
- To be responsible for leading camp activities at various times throughout the day.
- To work with other members in the completion of all administrative tasks on time.
- To take responsibility for the smooth operation of your cabin in all areas. This includes daily cabin meetings to eliminate break down in communication, discuss any pertinent information.
- To understand each camper’s specific needs to ensure that each camper is provided with the best possible physical and emotional care.
- To demonstrate patience, understanding, and care towards campers and staff and to treat everyone with dignity and respect.
- To bring any difficulties or problems that cannot be resolved to the Team Leader or the Coordinators.
- Aide in behaviour management of campers when applicable.
- Evaluate your Team Leader with formal and informal feedback throughout the summer.
- To facilitate campers on the climbing wall, zip line and ropes course.
- To facilitate team building and challenging activities for campers at the climbing wall.
- Ensure all participants are climbing or using equipment in a safe manner.
- Instruct users on the proper use of equipment, and how to wear harnesses and helmets.
- Provide encouragement and positive feedback to participants.
- Other duties as requested by the Camp Coordinators.
- Directly responsible to the cabin Team Leader.
- To attend meetings called by the Camp Coordinators.
For any questions, please contact email@example.com
Thank you for your interest. Applications for this position are currently CLOSED. Please check back in December 2022 for all 2023 summer camp job opportunities.